A New Patriotic Party (NPP) Chairman and his family escaped death narrowly after their chamber and hall room in a compound house in Alhaji-Israel, a suburb in the Ga Central District of the Greater Accra region was gutted by fireMr. Emmanuel Addo Gyau, his wife and daughter who were trapped in their bedroom after the ravaging furnace consumed their belongings in the porch and the living rooms and was inches away from them.
He is the chairman for the Golden Era polling station of the NPP in the Anyaa-Sowutuom constituency.
Smoke from burning items including furniture, electrical appliances and all other household items made them weak.Neighbours who responded to May Day calls had to break through a burglar proof barricade at the back of their rooms before finally helping them out through the back window of their roomDespite his wife and daughter, jumping through the opened entrance to safety, the NPP chairman had to be carried through the opening by the local rescue teamEyewitnesses claimed he had been weakened by the smoke and that explained his inability to help himself like the wife and daughter did.
The three were sent to a nearby private clinic for treatment of minor injuries sustained.
The Power outage
Neighbours who helped doused the ravaging furnace with water made available by others attributed it to a faulty socket at the porch of his room.They said the faulty socket was said to have sparked fire after power was restored to the neighbourhood around midnight of Sunday; this was after the neighbourhood, as part of the on-going load shedding had experienced a power outage.After consuming every single item at the porch which serves as the kitchen for the family, the ravaging furnace then consumed furniture and all items in the living room before the family which was sleeping at the inner room noticed it and started shouting for help.
“All my husband could say was ‘yerewu ooo’ [literally translated we are dying ooo] after he noticed the approaching furnace…,” Mrs. Joyce Gyau told neighbours.